NEWS

Open Letter in Support of Marriage Equality

7 July 2015

We, Infigen Energy, write to express our support for marriage equality.

We support diversity in the workforce and recognise the rights of our lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) employees to live and work, free of prejudice and discrimination, with all the essential freedoms enjoyed by other members of our organisations and the broader community.

The rights and liberties of all individuals are sacrosanct. They are essential in the creation of a healthy, harmonious and open society.

An equitable society, free of discrimination, also allows all employees to function at their best. Australia is a robust democracy and we support seeing it treat all its citizens equally.

Legalised discrimination in one area allows discrimination to flourish in all areas.

Australians are increasingly supportive of marriage equality, with a recent Crosby Textor survey showing 72 percent believe same sex couples should be allowed to marry. We agree. Of the remaining 28 percent only 14 percent strongly opposed the proposition.

Globally, over 20 countries have passed laws to allow same sex marriage, including countries that are culturally similar to ours like New Zealand, the United States of America, Canada, and the United Kingdom. These countries did so with lower support for marriage equality than Australia is seeing right now.

On 22 May 2015, the Republic of Ireland held a referendum to sanction same sex marriage. A ‘Yes’ vote was supported by the Government, all major political parties and the voters.

On 26 June 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court returned a judgement in favour of legalising same sex marriage across all 50 states.

These two events see Australia isolated amongst countries with English as a first language.

Not only is marriage equality the only truly fair option, it is also a sound economic option, given that a happy workforce is a productive one. To remain competitive and to attract top talent globally, organisations and nations must create a fair and respectful environment for all.

Equality in the workplace works; discrimination does not.

We support the right for all our employees to have equal opportunities in life. We therefore support marriage equality.

Yours faithfully,
 
Miles George
Managing Director